Definition of Blind Spot: a subject or area in which someone’s ability to understand is weak or lacking: He was a great scientist, but he had his blind spots.
In the January issue of Oprah magazine there was a great article about personal blind spots; areas in ourselves that we don’t see clearly. Since we cant really see them, are they there? The only way to know is our reflection in others. How do they see us? The way we want to be seen, or are our weakness visible?
The analogy of the “blind spot” works very well with the spa business. Business owners also fall prey to “If I cant see the problem, then there isn’t one.” Well, we all know that is not true. 60% of what happens in a spa happens in the treatment rooms, the remaining 40% in other spa areas. Here are some places where “blind spots” can reside:
Treatment Rooms, Dispensary, Front Desk, Social Media, Telephone, Conversations between Therapist and Client, Conversations between Employees, Conversations between Clients, Reputation in Social Media and Community
Now, even the best most engaged managers and owners can have blind spots that they need to uncover. The question is how to do this. There is not one straight path to follow, and often it is a combination of a few approaches to get to the underlying weakness or unknown issues that may be plaguing your business.
Here are some spa communication ideas:
- Monthly Staff Meetings
- One-on-One Meetings with Employees
- Performance Evaluations
- Secret Shoppers
- Employee Surveys
- Customer Satisfaction Cards
- Follow Up Calls to Clients
- Survey to Clients
- Engage with Social Media
- Audit with a Spa Consultant
Every business has an issue, some big and others small. Pretending they are not there is definitely not the solution. Do not be afraid to address any and all weaknesses in your business. Small issues can have a big impact on employee morale, client satisfaction, and ultimately the bottom line. Be a strong spa manager/owner; your abilty to handle conflict is the cornerstone for stability and sucess, embrace it.
Communication is key, and that applies to almost every aspect of life. Communicate and be open with your staff and clients. They will appreciate your willingness to manage issues straight on and your business will flourish. If you need a strategy to address spa “blind spots” JMPankey Partners can help. Reach out to us through our site and we can customize a plan to get your buinsess back on track.