As a spa consultant, I travel the country helping spa owners build the spa of their dreams. I am committed to helping them bring their customers a safe, trusted, comfortable environment to receive and enjoy salon and spa services. And when you remember what you personally look for in a spa, those same filters and preferences can be used to improve your own spa’s appeal.
Top 5 tips for finding a spa you can trust:
- Go with your gut. This is the easiest tip of all because you probably already know the answer! Think about how you feel when you visit this spa. If you are a regular, does the staff welcome you by name? Do they anticipate your needs and offer you products or services that will enhance the results of your experience? Is it a place that makes you feel good about yourself?
- Google them. Do some research, see how long the spa has been open and read other clients’ reviews. Now, I am not suggesting that you take to heart a couple of poor online reviews out of hundreds of good ones. However, I do think that if a spa has been in business for several years you should be able to find out online how satisfied its customers are overall. Check out the spa’s website and Facebook page to see if you connect with the over all feeling of the spa. Do your research so you find just the right spa to fit your personality and needs, and one that doesn’t have any glaring issues showing up repeatedly in reviews.
- A great massage begins before you’re even on the table. Let me start by reminding you that you are in control of your massage session so please be honest. A high-quality massage therapist will do a proper intake at the beginning our your session to discover your expectations for the session and to see if you have any allergies or health concerns and will generally check in with you two times during your session to see how you are feeling. This is another occasion where your honesty is necessary to make this experience the best it can be. Please do not go through an entire massage unhappy or uncomfortable! And if the massage therapist doesn’t check in or try to meet your needs, then this is not a quality practitioner.
- You get what you pay for. Yes, this applies to spas as well! I should put in a disclaimer here that I am not a fan of the membership spa chain model. Don’t get me wrong, they have their place. My belief is the place of a membership based spa chain is to satisfy a need for maintenance massage or facials at a good value. So, that said, how might a high-end day spa, medical spa, hotel spa and membership-based spa differ, other than price? Lots of ways! The service you receive, the care of a knowledgeable and experienced staff, the offer of highly advanced technologies, the availability of top of the line products, a non-salesy environment, the recommendation of home care to extend your service offering and the opportunity to really relax and get away from it all. One of my favorites among my industry friends is the Catania Hospitality Group’s Beach Plum Spas.
- Cleanliness is next to Godliness. Choose a spa that makes cleanliness a top priority because this attention to detail – or lack thereof – speaks volumes about the spa’s dedication to its clients’ experience. And of course this is important for reasons other than customer service as we are exposing our skin and nails to whatever residues or “cooties” are hanging around the place. I will never go to a spa again if I find a dirty restroom, plain and simple. When I am meeting with a client for the very first time, I always ask to use the restroom. If it isn’t clean, I will bring this to the attention of the owner or manager, and depending on their response, this may be a deal breaker for us working together. It does not have to be a new fancy spa, it just needs to be clean. One of my favorite spas is a tiny little place with an amazing massage therapist. It is nothing special, really, but just a sweet place that is pristinely clean.
Use these guidelines to find a spa that is just right for you — or to make your spa a place clients flock to for all of the right reasons. If you need help figuring out how to do this, well, that’s exactly what JMPankey Partners does!